OPPOSING ABOUT YOUR TICKET
At Riendeau lawyers, we are aware that each sanction or accumulation of demerit points can have an impact on your driving record. It is for this reason that our experts in the Highway Safety Code will be pleased to assist you in the challenge procedure.They will make it their duty to prepare a brilliant defence for you and/or negotiate the best possible settlement and thus reduce the consequences of a criminal charge.
We understand that for a person who is not familiar with the Highway Safety Code, it may be difficult to determine the remedies for opposing a statement of offense. Feel free to contact us for a first free consultation.
Once you will have received your statement of offense, it is essential that you contact us as soon as possible. Indeed, it is important to know that there is a 30-day time limit to contest your ticket, otherwise you will be found guilty of the offence charged against you by default. You will therefore lose the right to present your defence.
Our specialists will offer you a professional, personal service; a service that will be adapted to your needs and above all, they will be transparent and will indicate you the chances of success of your recourse.
If no defence emerges during the analysis of your case, the expertise of our lawyers will allow you to obtain the most advantageous settlement according to your profile qnd this, thanks to our excellent negotiation skills.
- In Quebec, it is possible to obtain a ticket for speeding or excessive speeding. Regardless of the situation, the severity of the penalty depends on the speed captured and the speed limit in the area where you were.
- Did you know that when you are convicted of a large speeding violation (GEV), this conviction will be recorded in your driving record for a period of 10 years? In case of recidivism during this period, the penalties will be more severe towards you. It is therefore all the more important to call us when you receive a ticket for this type of offence.
- When you are intercepted for an EVG, your licence may be suspended for 7, 30 or 60 days from the time of interception.
- Moreover, if the event takes place in a construction area, the amount of the fine will be twice as high!
- If you do not stop in accordance with the Highway Safety Code at a stop sign or at a traffic light, you may lose 3 demerit points, in addition to the fine that will be imposed on you.
- If you think you have been unfairly charged or want to reduce the consequences of the conviction, contact us quickly!
- Did you know that when the intermittent red lights of a school bus or minibus are on or that the bus uses its stop sign, you must stop at a distance of 5 meters from the bus?
- A guilty verdict for this omission could cause you to lose up to 9 demerit points.
- However, be aware that you will not have to stop like this if a median separates you from the bus.
- Cell phone while driving
- Under the Highway Safety Code, it is not permitted to use a cell phone or any other portable device designed to send or receive a message or to be used for entertainment purposes. You may not use a display screen, except in cases specifically provided for by law.
- Be careful, the mere fact of having your cell phone in your hands or looking at it can lead to a statement of offence!
- Following a hit and run, it is possible that circumstances may result in criminal or penal charges, depending on the facts surrounding the accident
- Following an accident – even a small fender bender! – you are required to remain on the scene, identify yourself and assist the injured, if necessary.
- A criminal hit and run conviction will result in 9 demerit points, which can have serious consequences on your driving record. In fact, if you are under 23 years of age, your driving record does not allow you to accumulate 9 demerit points. Therefore, a hit and run conviction will inevitably result in the suspension of your driver’s licence. It goes without saying that it is essential to contact us if you receive such a ticket!
- When you drive a vehicle in a way that jeopardizes the safety of others or property, you may face charges of dangerous driving.
- If you are convicted, the fine can go up to $3,000, in addition to a penalty of 4 demerit points that will undoubtedly have a significant impact on your driving record.
- Although the accumulation of demerit points may result in the suspension of your licence, you should be aware that there is a possibility of obtaining a restricted licence if your job requires you to drive a vehicle.
- As soon as you receive the notice of suspension of your driver’s licence from the SAAQ, contact us in order to initiate the procedures as soon as possible and obtain a restricted licence at the beginning of the suspension period of your licence.
- Certain conditions must be met in order for the judge to allow the issuance of a restricted permit. Contact one of our experts to learn more about it!
- You received a notice of judgment by default without having had the opportunity to present a defence? Withdrawal of judgment is one of the possibilities to assert your rights in such circumstances.
- As soon as you receive the notice of judgment, contact the MTL Ticket team, since you must respect certain deadlines in this procedure.
- Serious consequences related to a guilty verdict may arise as soon as you are sentenced without you having had an opportunity to defend yourself.
- In this case, we can help you, through an application for a stay of execution, to suspend the effects of such a verdict for the entire duration of the process leading to the withdrawal of a judgment.
Withdrawal of judgment
Suspension of execution